We plowed through goodness-knows-how-many cans of beans and soup (I have to stop buying them on sale!), placing many of them in the Food Bank donation box. We decided that the 12 boxes of Celestial Seasonings herbal tea was probably about 11 too many. And we are bidding adieu to a few of the Corningware pieces we've had since, well, probably our marriage in 1977.
And then, deep in the baking goods cupboard, we came across this beauty:
That, my friend, probably belongs in a museum. It's a bottle of Karo corn syrup (can you even buy this any more?). You probably can't read the "sell-by" date, but I'll help you: it says "Buy Before Oct. 6 '80".
That's right. We have been harboring a bottle of corn syrup that is more than 27 years past its sell-by date. It was already 6 years past its prime when our first kid was born. We've moved that thing at least 9 times since it should have been tossed out.
Forgive me for this, but for a moment, I thought about keeping it this time. Only for a moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment