And last night, we were blown away. Check out the photo. That big beam (above the ladder; you can see it better if you click on the photo to size it up) had gone from lying on the floor to fully-installed.
Now, you have to understand. I think this beam is longer than our house is wide. One of our neighbors told me he was amazed to see it come off the lumber-delivery truck and wondered what they could possibly be doing with it.
We assumed there would be at least 10 strong men here the day they decided to move it. But as far as I can tell, they installed this thing with no more than 3 people. Somehow, they hoisted it up, threaded it through a very narrow space, and fastened it in place. It will anchor a new "shear wall" that will actually be hidden in the attic. This is what will allow us to:
- Eliminate the old wall between the kitchen and family room, while at the same time
- Not have to worry that the place will collapse in an earthquake
When I get a chance, I have to find out how they wrestled that thing into place. Something tells me the answer will be: "Uh, we just lifted it up and nailed it down."
No comments:
Post a Comment